The Nacogdoches Railroad Depot was built by Southern Pacific Railways to replace the original wooden depot and opened on April 3 of 1911. The wooden depot was built in May of 1910 and burned to the ground less than a year later, after it was struck by lightning. The railroad depot is the only surviving passenger station on the old Houston East and West Texas rail line. The first train passed through Nacogdoches in 1883, bringing with it a number of changes. After World War II, cars became more common, indicating a decline in the need for the railroad, and in August of 1954 Southern Pacific terminated passenger services through Nacogdoches. The depot was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. Future plans for the depot include a museum depicting the importance of all transportation in the early development of Nacogdoches. The Depot currently hosts several rotating exhibits such as the Loblolly Model Train exhibit, history of the HE&WT line and others. Please call ahead for exhibit schedule.
Hours vary. Please call ahead for the Nacogdoches Railroad Depot schedule.
Tours are FREE, but donations are welcome. Closed Sundays, Mondays and major holidays.
If you would like to schedule a large tour or a school group, contact the Historic Sites Department.