To run for City Council you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be a resident of the city for one year preceding the date of election for At Large position, and for six months preceding the date of election for single ward positions
- Be a registered voter of the city
- Not hold any other public office for which you receive compensation
- Not be indebted to the city
- Not have been determined mentally incompetent by a final judgment of a court
- Not have been finally convicted of a felony from which you have not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities
Application for a Place on the Ballot
Applications for a place on the ballot will be accepted by the city secretary from January 16th 2019 thru February 15th 2019. Application packets will be available in the city secretary’s office during normal business hours, or online starting January 7th 2019. Each candidate must submit the application for a place on the ballot, appointment of campaign treasurer and code of fair campaign practices.
Campaign Treasurer Appointment
Applicant must file appointment of campaign treasurer prior to accepting or receiving any campaign funds. Texas Election Code defines candidate as “a person who knowingly and willingly takes affirmative action for the purpose of gaining nomination or election to public office or for the purpose of satisfying financial obligations incurred by the person in connection with the campaign for nomination or election.”
A person becomes a candidate when a public announcement or statement is made of an intent to run for office, soliciting support by letter or other mode of communication, accepting campaign contributions or making campaign expenditures, or an application is filed for a place on the ballot.